Thursday, January 14, 2010

What's in a name???

The other day I was thinking about names. Our parents carefully and thoughtfully picked our names. Then when we became parents, we did the same for our children. Yet, over time, it seems our names change into NICKNAMES. Our names are replaced with a shorter version or variation of our given name....or changed to a description of a characteristic, job, personality, etc. Nicknames can pretty much come from anywhere....

Jared becomes "Flash" because he is a fast runner for his significant size;
Emily becomes "Em" because she's simply an Em;
Mallory becomes "Malz" (spelled with a "z" not an "s"-she changed it);
Mackay becomes "Mack" unless I am unhappy with him....then he is known as "Son"
Isabelle becomes "Iz"or "Izzy"-I tried "Red" on her the other day and she wasn't sure she liked it; and
Gracie becomes "Goop" for who knows why...it's just what her Dad calls her.

Some nicknames are terms of endearment, others are thrust upon us and we wish to forget they ever existed....Some are created out of circumstance. I have decided that overall nicknames are FUN, as long as they don't tear a person down. It makes me smile to hear Jared's friends call him "Flash" (I heard him called "Flashdance" this weekend....gave me a whole new perspective-Ha Ha).

So, whether you are known as Hummer, Stinky, EJ or Dr. No.....your nickname is part of who you are. Just remember when it's time to pay taxes......It's you that has to pay them.....not Flash!

2 comments:

Krista said...

Oh that is CLASSIC!!

I've come to realize in my old age that nicknames are definately a Grantsville thing... and isn't it FUN!!

Remember the days when "Eli" and "Emilio" used to pass notes in Math? Where those names came from I can't figure out!

Lacey Sue said...

I love nicknames!!! I have had the same one since I was born. "Sue" My family calls me "Sue" and very rarely am I "Lacey" most people just call me "Lacey Sue". I've been known as "Susie-q", "Sue bean" "Sue Bug", "Sexy Sue", "Lace" "Lacey Sue", but I got my favorite new name the just 6 years ago... Mom. :)