Monday, July 7, 2008

"Calling All Women"

OK, I will only stand on my soapbox for a minute...

I must urge my female family and friends, capable of becoming pregnant, to add folate (folic acid) to your vitamin regimine...if you haven't already! Let me repeat, women - - CAPABLE - - of becoming pregnant! By taking at least .4mg/d of folic acid you are reducing the risk of the development of a fetal neural tube defect (most commonly, anencephaly and spina bifida). If you are at high risk, you should take 4mg/day. I am sure there are some of you that do not plan on getting pregnant at this moment in time but unless you are barren or have taken permanent measures, this means you too! NTDs develop during the first four weeks of gestation, before most women even know they are pregnant which equates to....you have to take it before you get pregnant! Prevention is easy! Any women's daily vitamin has the necessary amount of folic acid to protect against NTD's. There are several foods that also contain folate. Stop and think....what a simple thing! Please just do it!

http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/796_fol.html

4 comments:

Krista said...

Em,
I am jumping on your soapbox! My Mom had 2 babies born with Spinal Bifida. Our sister died and our brother is a miracle. What my Mother would have given to know about Folic Acid back then ... but they hadn't discovered it's power yet. Please take advantage of the advances in medicine! PREVENTION is such blessing!
Love, Krista

Maxfields said...

I'm sorry Emily. I am sure I partly spurred this on. You told me years ago to start taking it and I did...for awhile. I know it was what I should have been doing, but I honestly started to think I wouldn't ever get pregnant, and then I did. Just pray for me that my baby will be healthy.

Angie

Em said...

Angie-

Don't be sorry. You just reminded me to remind everyone to take it. And I know with all you have been through, I am sure you were a little surprised to find out that your dream of a baby finally came true! You are blessed and will continue to be blessed! I love you!

Em

Maxfields said...

Emily,
Thank you! That is really sweet. I love you too!

Angie