Wednesday, February 3, 2010

My conversation with a police officer.....

Officer- "Ma'am, 15 miles over the speed limit is way too fast."
Me- "Yes, it is."
Officer-"I clocked you going 65 when the speed limit is 50."
Me-"Wow, I didn't realize I was going that fast! And, I thought the speed limit here is 55?"
Officer-"No, it's 50. You know, we don't try to trick you....there is a big white sign with the number 50 on it so you know what the speed limit is."
Me-(Smile) "I am really sorry. I was just chatting and didn't realize how fast I was going."
Officer-"65 in a 50 zone is just too fast."
Me-(Smile) "I agree. I should not have been going that fast. I'm not used to driving this road. See where I live?"
Officer-"Grantsville, huh? Well, I guess out there you can go whatever speed you want through the cow fields."
Me-(Laugh) "I try not to speed because my brother-in-law is an officer in Grantsville and I don't want him to pull me over."
Officer-What is his name?"
Me-"Jim White."
Officer-"Oh, I don't know him."
My friend who is in the car with me-"Do you know any WJ officers?"
Officer-"Ya, why?"
My friend-"Well, my husband is an officer for WJ."
Officer-"And you let her speed!?!?!?"
Me-(Smile) "I didn't realize I was going that fast! I'm so sorry."
Me-(still smiling)...."And I am a newlywed, my husband will be so mad if I come home with a ticket."
Officer-"How long have you been married."
Me-"A year."
Officer-"You aren't a newlywed anymore....the honeymoon is over!"
Me-(Laugh and smile)"Not for me....but if I come home with a ticket, the honeymoon will probably be over now!"
My friend-"It's true, they are still in wedded bliss."
Officer-"Well, you tell your husband you dodged a bullet today. I don't usually give warnings for speed 11 miles an hour over the limit"(hands me my license) "No more speeding, okay?"
Me-"I won't, I promise!"

Was it the smile (thanks Dr. Horsley)? Was it the fact that I had the wife of a fellow cop in the car? Was he just feeling merciful? Whatever it was......I did dodge a bullet and I am so grateful! And the wedded bliss is protected for one more day...

4 comments:

Krista said...

I have NEVER been able to talk myself out of a ticket! I think it's the red hair because Jeff has pulled it off a couple times... you lucky freckled-face, fair-skinned, fast talkers!

It all began here said...

I got pulled over today too! I smiled and drove away without a ticket. Ha ha! Mine was for a dirty car. (Ya Im not kidding) I guess the car is so dirty you couldnt read the liscense plate.

So I got a go wash your car and drive careful.

Love you Em

Anonymous said...

One LUCKY LADY you are.

Here's hoping Jim remembers I'm your mother-in-law, and likes you enough to give me a little slack in case I get pulled over here in town!

Knock on wood, but it my 45 years of driving I've only been pulled over once for an expired license plate. Hope the sixty's are nifty and I continue to obey all the laws, lol!!!

Lacey Sue said...

Good grief, how many times did he have to tell you you were speeding, your not an idiot, all it took was one time for you to get it ;) Sometimes...
Anyways, I think your pretty lucky, sometimes cops can be...well..not so nice. Glad you dodge this bullet ;)!