Monday, April 28, 2008

the "network".

Well, the first real catastrophe at Mom and Dad's has occurred!!! Last Friday, as I was driving home from work, I got a call from Mack in a bit of a panic....a water pipe in the basement was broken! Water was everywhere! For those of you who don't know this-our basement has dirt walls! Water + dirt = MUD! And we didn't know how to turn the water off! I have never felt so helpless. Alas....Thanks to a quick-thinking (and incredibly handsome) friend, help was on the way!

Now, I have never had the need to call on the members of my church. But what is a gal to do when there is no husband and her dad is millions of miles away (love ya but miss ya Dad!)? Incredibly, as the bishop of my ward pulled up in front of the house I realized that everything would be okay. As soon as the water was turned off and the damage was surveyed, the troops were called in! I can only hope that the military has the same efficiency as the "Mormons" do! In a matter of minutes there were a dozen plus people in the house. Plastic was laid on the carpet-boxes from the basement were quickly moved up-a shop vac was soaking up the water-men were cutting pipe, replacing pipe, soldering pipe, checking pipe for leaks.....All of the wet clothes were hung on the line-wet papers and other items were laid out on the counter to dry.

As all of this was happening, there I am, watching the work happen with my mouth wide open! I had no idea what to do! With one phone call, people I don't really know very well dropped what they were doing and came to my aid! How does one express thanks for such a kind deed? I am so lucky to live among people who help others-no matter what!!!!

There are still things to be done! The clean up is moving forward! But, nothing of consequence was damaged! And don't think there weren't offers to take things home to wash! I am so grateful to those who helped! Thankful for those who let their husbands and sons leave the dinner table to come help some chick down the street! I am not sure how you thank someone for such kindness! But now I have one more thing to add to my list of things to be thankful for.....the "Network!" I am truly blessed!

"How beautiful a day can be - When kindness touches it"
-george elliston

1 comments:

Maren Nielsen said...

Sorry we couldnt help. We were down in Orem doing a show. Let me know if I can help with anything! Isnt it nice to know that there are people out there that are willing to help at a moments notice. When my parents basement flooded when they were in China, their ward took care of so much before I could even get there. What examples!